Vintage Fitness Review: Denise Austin Kickin' With Country

I'm finding that some of these workouts are a bit difficult to research. For instance, this video, which had to have been released sometime in the early 90s, is only available through Amazon, which gives no info on its origins and nor does Denise Austin's wikipedia or personal website. I know this was released in the early 90s because a certain scholarship program I participated in (AND WON) used almost the exact same music playlist and many of the same pieces of choreography, as did the program from the next town over from ours and this was in 1993. What a time for country! Out in the sticks, anyway.

The songs: Achy, Breaky Heart (Billy Ray Cyrus); Boot Scootin' Boogie (Brooks and Dunn), I'm in a Hurry (Alabama), Down at the Twist and Shout (Mary Chapin Carpenter), Elvira (The Oak Ridge Boys)

If you don't have a deep burning passion for country music or at least a nostalgic connection to it for memory's sake, don't bother with this video. However, if you enjoy these songs and are looking for more of a dance challenge than a sweaty workout, you'll want to give it a try. Overall, it's pretty fun.

Noteworthy items: 

1. The live band (ala Swingin' to the Big Bands) is back, this time country fellows. I don't believe they're actually playing for each song, but the guitar player comes out to glad-hand and distract Denise just like the horn guy in the Big Bands did. They did appear to actually play some of the songs. 

2. The thick, white scrunch socks. I really disliked this trend in the early 90s but seeing it here was kind of fun, for nostalgia's sake. The outfits were blacks and whites for the background folks with Denise donning a red bandana-inspired sports bra and cutoffs. I think the hair scrunchy was significant but can't remember. There was some hat-throwing and a take-3 kickout to end one of the routines, very jaunty. I feel like there should have been boots on someone, somewhere. 

3. The routines begin easy and become more difficult as the program progresses. Exertion isn't the problem, it's mastering the choreography, especially on the Boot Scoot. The directions are NOT intuitive, and as always, Denise is not forming this routine to the phrasing of the music. There is a tutorial at the end of the video that is sorta helpful, but after doing the routine twice from start to finish, I was finally starting to catch on without watching it (I only watched it after the fourth time). The most fun was "Elvira," early on; easy to catch onto and a fun tune. The moves themselves are similar to what you'd find in Denise's other routines, knee-kicks, knee-raises, grapevines, two-steps, hip shakes, and push-pulls with the arms. Nothing strenuous at all.

4. There is one backup dancer (on Denise's left, our right) who is SUPER into the dances. She's very limb-y and is always giving it her absolute all. Dedication! 

5. I know a simple box step is not at all difficult, but that was the move that threw me every time! Working this step in among the others just did not come easily for me unless I mentally coached myself when I knew it was coming (step out and CROSS). What can I say, I'm an instrumentalist, not a dancer.

6. Abs sequence as an add-on at the end seemed . . . weird. I mean, by all means offer some strengthening, but given the theme of the main video, maybe try some farm-related moves like shoveling or pulling the tractor or something. Doing situps to "Elvira" really didn't vibe with me. 

The verdict on this is high marks for nostalgia and progressively advanced routines, but it's not something today's exercise population is going to go for. I'd rate it at a beginner's intensity but a more intermediate choreography. If you get lost just throw in a couple grapevines (!)

Boot-Scootin' with the YWY Crew
Olivia, Minnesota
1993



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walks in Changing Weather

The Fitness Begins